Thursday 8 January 2009

Perfume Advert


For my cosmetic advert i focused on the idea of a moisturiser. Everybody else seemed to be doing a perfume advert and i thought it would interesting to work with a different product. I quickly developed ideas about how i would like my advert to come across,the colours i would use and the slogan.
I thought the slogan was particularly strong-'bring out the panther in you'. The panther may be a strange animal to link with a moisturiser but i felt that a panther is a very flawless,slinky and elegant , all the qualities someone would want to find in a moisturiser.As soon as the slogan came to me i started to look on the Internet for images of panthers.
I firstly had a idea of Lot's of panthers in a collage with the bottle of the moisturiser in the middle of the page with a green glow around the bottle to draw the consumer's eye to it. This idea was good and i was able to access Lot's of suitable images on the Internet but i was concerned that the material was all the work of others. i therefore decide to include some of my own work- my photography-in the advert to give it a unique spin.
I took a photograph of my friend Tess, i decided straight a way that i wanted a close-up of her face because I'd found a particularly good Internet image of a panther's face and i thought i could merge the two of them together on photo shop. I realised this was quite ambitious and it took me a long time to do. I t looked quite unprofessional until i worked out that i need to layer the images and rub away parts and repeat this process until the panther had human qualities.
After this i realised the image was too scary and would frighten the consumer which was the opposite effect i wanted. Therefore i decided i would approach it differently.I was intrigued by the Marc Jacob's adverts. H e uses simple designs-usually a white box to frame the image which focuses the eye. The images within the box are usually quite plain but with a quirky element too, for example a long shot of a model in his clothes with a black background standing in a pool of glitter. H e also use a font style which is very formal, all capitals. Overall the effect is clean and controlled,businesslike but with a twist.
I wanted to do something similar but make it my own. I took a different close-up shot of my friend Tess, i edited it on iPhoto,Apple Mac. I made he image Black and White but enhanced it so her face is a bright white which immediately draws attention to it. I then transferred this image to Photo shop placing it on a black A4 background.
I then soured a panther shot which was also a close-up and placed this next to the image of Tess. I changed the panther shot from colour to black and white, so it would match the other image. I then shrunk it into a box which i placed near the top of my advert page, mirroring the way Marc Jacob uses boxes. I then had space to position my moisturiser bottle which was a crystal bottle, an image taken from the Internet. i reworked this bottle image merging it into the black background. In order to make the bottle stand out i tried surrounding it with a neon glow but it wasn't bright enough. I finally decide to enhance the normal low on the bottle until it looked like individual coloured lights (dark blues,Green and purple) picking out the bottle's curves and shapes.
I then set to work on the text. The font i selected was Zapfino because it's smooth and curvy like a panther moving through a forest, cat like. I chose Sleek for the name of the moisturiser again because it referenced panther- like qualities and also because it's a nice,short word which rolls off the tongue. I wanted the name to be big and bold so that the consumer remembers it . I put at the top of the page in the left hand corner (because people read from the left to the right in this country) and i manipulated it so it resembled the body of a arching big cat.
My slogan-bring out the panther in you-was placed in the middle of the page separating the image the of faces and that of the bottle.
My final piece of text was placed right at the bottom of the page in small font. This described how the product works, using aspirational words like Flawless to create desire in the customers for the product.
I now had the whole advert laid out and could add the finishing touched. The plain white text looked boring so i changed the colour to black and outlined with a neon glow in white, so the letters look like they're escaping from the page.
The my advert was complete.
My advert is directed at groups C1 and C2 of the population-the semi-professional,aspirational classes. Most products are aimed at this group who wish to but into a certain lifestyle. The lower class groups wouldn't have the spare money to buy the product and the higher groups have no need to follow trends.

No comments: